Post by superaveragebro on Aug 11, 2014 9:01:29 GMT -5
Ok so I used system 2 for bench to get up my strength while recovering from injury. That was pretty easy cause I used very conservative weights. Fast forward a couple of months and I hit a plateau at 135kg bench. Previous best was 147.5kg two years ago. I set system 1 max at 135 and after the 4 week cycle tested my paused bench max. I got 142.5kg. I ran system 2 without taking a break. I set system 2 max at 140. Got 147.5kg paused at the end of the cycle. These bench programs worked good for me. Will try to break new ground next time around.
Post by superaveragebro on Aug 11, 2014 9:59:15 GMT -5
I have tried the squat/deadlift 8 week cycle with limited success. I am not referring to the one where you perform 3 sets of 5 on the light days, 3 x 3 on medium days and 3 singles on heavy days but the ones where you perform 4 x 4 on medium days, singles followed by sets of 7, 5 or 3 on heavy days and 4 sets of 6 reps on light days. I have found out that you have got to make these changes usually for it to work. Set a very conservative max. Surovetsky says it has to be a weight you can do on bad days. I say it has to be 10kg less. Then before going for a max you have to take a deload week. As the program is set you will end up going for a max just when the workload beats you to the ground. Every microcycle (2 weeks) is identical to the next in amount of work, save for the last 3 sets on heavy days. However the weight increases from microcycle to microcycle. From this point of view the program is set poorly. All the rest looks nice.